Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i wear contacts, my eyes feel fine during the day. When i wake

Customer Question

i wear contacts, my eyes feel fine during the day. When i wake up in the morning my eye feels like sand is in it.they also hurt. I also do alot of computer work. I squint allot. I get headaches from the side of my head and down to my neck. My blood pressure rises. If i rest my eye it stops of just dont stay on the computer. What can i do I am afraid i have a horrible eye problem.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

It appears you are suffering dry eyes. Patients often report the sensation of "sand" or "rocks" in their eyes. Contact lenses can reduce corneal sensation as well and can contribute to dry eyes.

I'd recommend you continue to use the artificial tears 4-6 times a day. While on the computer, you should take periodic breaks by looking away from the computer every 10-15 minutes. This reminds you to blink your eyes and keep them lubricated. You should also check with your eye doctor for confirmation and to tailor treatment to you.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sometimes it feel like my eye lid is stuck on my eye and when i blink a few times if feels better is this all a part of it
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Yes, that sensation is all apart of the same problem. You can also get mucous production due to the irritation causing crusting of the eyes and them sticking together. Eye lubrication will help.