Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I have just learned that I have a retinal membrane, not yet

I have just learned that I have a retinal membrane, not yet affecting vision very much on my left eye. I am 76. Is it likely that i will also get a membrane in my right eye? I only have small visual affects on the grid test for the left eye so far.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

In most cases, the cause of retinal membrane remains unknown. However, it can occur as a result of retinal detachment, trauma, blood vessel abnormaities, inflammatory diseases etc. Treatment is not required if membrane is mild and does not affect the vision like in your case. It's not necessary that you will develop a membrane in the other eye also. You should monitor your vision with the grid provided. If any blurring or vision deterioration takes place then you should report to your doctor. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. What I wanted to know specifically is whether there are any statistics as to the percentage of cases where one membrane occurs (I do not have diabities or had any head trauma or any of the other explanations for why the first one has occurred) the percentage of time that another develops.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

I do not think any one will be able to give you the percentage but it is not very likely to develop in the second eye. In most cases it is idiopathic i.e. the cause is not known. There are many people who have this condition in both eyes and many who have it in just one eye. Since, yours is only mild the other eye may not get involved. Thanks.