Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

Hi there, I went to an Ophthalmologist today because of

Customer Question

Hi there,

I went to an Ophthalmologist today because of sporadic flashes that are occuring in both of my eyes. The flashes are mainly the size of pin point specks of light that last only a millisecond. I have a minor tenderness on the back of my head/neck, though it has been there since I can remember (muscle tension?). The Ophthalmologist said it was most likely neuro related and that he saw no sign of anything wrong inside my eyes.

What are your thoughts?? As I have written this message, I've already seen about 5 flashes of light... :/
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much for your question again.

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptoms of ocular migraine or retinal migraine associated with tension headache. Retinal migraine is known for its one-eye at a time flashing visual disturbances. It often can cause brief visual loss. The symptoms are often temporary, usually lasting for seconds. For the visual disturbances, triptan drugs (such as Imitrex) can be prescribed in consultation with your doctor. Other conditions that need to be excluded includes a possible peripheral retinal break or tear. Since you saw the ophthamologist as advised and other retinal problems were excluded, the only next step is to use triptans to help relief that visual symptoms, and for the tension headache, you can request muscle relaxants from your doctor. Thanks again, and May God bless.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks again Dr. Stan for your quick response and advice!

So, what if the symptoms are happening in both eyes at once?

Or, what is the chance of these sporadic flashes being caused by a brain tumor? Or what other symptoms would suggest that? Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Ocular migraine can occur in both at the same time, except that it often occur one at a time. The chances of brain tumor is very low and unlikely, however, I would suggest that you request a brain MRI or CT Scan for personal reassurance. In general, brain tumors tend to cause severe/constant headache that wake up in the morning, double vision, and the dilated eye exam at your eye doctor may show swollen nerve at the back of the eye. May God bless.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Dr. Stan,

It has been almost a month now since my symptoms began, and I still see these tiny pin point flashes (mostly in lit environments, but also in dark)...they are frequent ( every few seconds).

Also to note, when I'm looking at something... often times a slow development of light, like an after flash, grows bright in my vision that varies in intensities.

What are your thoughts?

Also, I currently have a cold. I've been running a mild fever every once in a while with sinus congestion, etc... this just developed in the last few days.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also!

I have had ringing in my ears occasionally, I'm not sure if this has any significance.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also!

I have had ringing in my ears occasionally, I
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this post still active?