Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

i got punched in the eye doing boxing...it was right on the

i got punched in the eye doing boxing...it was right on the eye ball and this morning i woke up blew my nose and it just inflated...anyone have any ideas why this would happend?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Is there any pain or tenderness?

Any visual complaints?

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my eyeball hurts a little and i have no vision problems...only when i look down due to the inflammation

The skin around the eye has loose areolar tissue which is capable of swelling up quite a bit. Because of the close proximity of the sinuses(which are filled with air normally) there is chance of air escaping from the sinuses into the sub-cutaneous tissue around the eye.You can feel the crepitus under the skin of the entrapped air.

There doesn't seem to be any major fracture symptoms wise as fracture in the maxillofacial area would be associated with more signs like a depressed cheek, tenderness at the site, loss of sensation in the cheek etc. But these are confirmatory by either an X-ray or better CT-scan of face( including the sinuses).

As of now you can take a combination of tab.diclofenac+paracetamol+serratiopeptidase 1 tab twice a day for a week. The air entrapped will slowly get absorbed.

You need to go to the ophthalmologist if you experience pain or tenderness around the eye, depressed cheek, loss of sensation on the skin of the cheek.

Thanks and regards.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is that normal though blowing youre nose and youre inflamating instantly?

No , it is not normal for the skin to blow up when you blow the nose under normal circumstances. Since you have had a trauma , there is a chance of the thin bony tissue of the sinuses which share the walls of the orbit to have given way and resulted in the escape of air into the peri-orbital tissue. If it is small there is no correction needed, but if the break is large then it needs treatment. It is confirmed with either an X-ray or CT scan of head and sinuses.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince