Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi, I was diagnosed with mild dry eye before my lasik procedure

I was diagnosed with mild dry eye before my lasik procedure due to extended contact lens wear(9 years). The procedure eliminated my need for glasses and contacts, but left me with severe dry eye. I had lasik done almost four months ago, and my dry eye is frustrating and unbearable a lot of the time. My eyes get so dry that they flare up and become inflammed and extremely red. Its hard to look people in the eyes knowing how unappealing red, bloodshot eyes look. The doctor put smart plugs in my bottom tear ducts, which help to preserve my tears a little. However, the tears evaporate quickly. I have been on theratears nutrition pills for almost three months now, as well as restasis, gel drops and warm compresses at night, and rewetting drops throughout the day. The rewetting drops only provide short relief, and the restasis and omega 3 pills dont seem to be working. I would greatly appreciate any advice or encouragement on how to better treat this on-going dry eye problem?! Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

You seem to be really affected by severe dry eyes which can be pretty annoying when none of the medications work well.

Most of the routine methods advised for dry eyes have already been tried on you including the smart plugs.

When none of the above mentioned treatment modalities are effective , then we are left with very few options like permanent plugging of the punctums so that the existing tears are retained in the conjunctival sac and do not get drained out of the eye. It can be done by heat cautery. But a word of caution is that it is to be avoided in young individuals as their tear production may be fluctuating.

Also any co-existing blepharitis should be treated.

You need to discuss with your ophthalmologist about the permanent punctal occlusion.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. I was just wondering how safe permanent punctal occlusion is, and what I can realisticly expect in terms of this relieving my stubborn dry eye?

Punctal occlusion is a small procedure in which the punctum is destroyed or rather cauterised with heat such that the punctum is permanently closed. There is no complication as such in this procedure. Considering the severity of your dry eyes it is unlikely that this irreversible procedure will ever cause epiphora( excess watering) as that is a major concern in such procedures.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince