Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Sudden eye bays (overnight) which have lasted over 2 years

Customer Question

Sudden eye bays (overnight) which have lasted over 2 years , seem to swell more during evening bath time also swelling of cheek bones
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.
hello there. has any testing been done for you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes allergy testing which seemed to be ok apart from reactions to elments placed under the skin

Hello there

As an ophthalmologist, I see this day in and day out. While there are some medical conditions most of the time, the cause is either allergies, poor resting habits, or is genetic. Lets go over some medical reasons for this. If you have anemia (low blood counts), your heart will pump faster and stronger to deliver oxygen to tissues and this can result in swelling under the eyes. Poor circulation and heart failure can also cause this, as can hypothyroidism. It is important to talk to your doc and get tested for these conditions. If these do not apply to you, then most likely, the swollen skin is a result of leaky blood vessels and collection of fatty tissue. The delicate capillary beds in the eyelids become more leaky and swollen when when someone is suffering from allergies, an upper respiratory infection, or lack of sleep. I usually recommend treating your allergies if you have any, such as using Loratadine for seasonal allergies. I recommend getting plenty of rest and fluids to make sure your skin is hydrated well. Cool compresses help reduce the bagginess as well, I hope this helps,

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK thanks but my eyes tend to feel heavy and I have lost alevel of close vision with my eyes not really feeling right

Hello there again

losing a certain amount of near vision is considered normal as we age. It is the reason why you feel like your ability to focus up close is not as good as it was a few years back. This is called presbyopia. You can get reading glasses or bifocals for this issue. You should have a visit with an optometrist to see which is better for your needs, Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

One last question does stress add to the problem

Hello there

the short answer is yes it can. Stress causes the release of certain hormones which can lead to inflammation and increased permeability of the capillaries and can make this situation worse. Also, folks who are stressed tend to take less care of their bodies and rest more poorly. All these contribute to the situation. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens