Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I prefer to have an ophthamologist expert answer my question.

I am an ophthalmologist on this site. Timolol is used as a pressure lowering drop. Please, ask your question in detail. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My cardiologist recommended that I have my eye doctor prescribe a different eyedrop for my glaucoma due to beta blockers aggravating my chronic bronchitis. My heart is okay but my bronchitis has worsenedn tha past 3 months. My eye doctor's assistant told me that I should stop the timilol eyedrops for a month and then see him. I have had glaucoma for over 15 years and have used timilol all of this time. My glaucoma has not progressed since diagnosis. I am reluctant to stop timilol for that length of time. My father and one of his brothers lost their eyesight due to glaucoma in their later years so I am worried about losing mine. I am 82 yrs. old and a Type one diabetic on an insulin pump. My diabetes is well controlled. So far, I have had no retinol damage or any other problems with the exception of glaucoma and macular degeneration. Both were diagnosed at the same time and neither have worsened.

Hello there

going without the drop for a month is probably not a great idea. There are a couple of options. One would be to switch to a different beta blocker with less effects on bronchitis such as betaxolol. Another option is to switch to a different class altogether such as Lumigan or Xalatan. I find these two meds to control the pressure even a bit better than the timolol however they can cause some eye redness and darkening of the skin around the eyes. Overall though Xalatan controls the pressure even better than timolol in my experience. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

please press ACCEPT, this pays me for my work
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist