Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED

I have a question. I splashed an oil drop from a salad dressing

I have a question. I splashed an oil drop from a salad dressing in my eye - noticed floaters right after that - then light flashes out of the side of my eye - the light flashes only happen at night in the car and occassionally in other place - never in the daytime. Also my vision is better than ever - no blurriness - I can even read now in the am with out my reading glasses. No pain or discomfort - What do you think?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

How long back did you splash the oil?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It happened on September 17th, 2009 and then at the same restaurant it happened again in the same eye. After the first time I went home and washed it with an herbal eye wash and thought all was O.K. till leaving on a trip and I noticed the floaters and a few flashes that am. I used silver all week I was gone and then about 3 - 4 weeks after getting home and eating in the same restaurant - same salad - happened again. Strange. I have worked a long time herbally and naturally.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

Near vision can improve at your age if you are developing nuclear cataract which is common at this age. The prescription no. shifhts towards the negative side as a result near vision improves. It's difficult to say what you had when you splashed the oil drop. It is not likely to cause floaters. You may have developed posterior vitreous detachment which can cause floaters and flashes of light. This is a normal ageing change in which the vitreous gel in the back part of the eye liquifies and separates from the retina. There can be other reasons for flashes and floaters and you need a dilated eye examination by an ophthalmologist to confirm the diagnosis. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

You're most welcome.

Please, do not forget to click the ACCEPT BUTTON. Unless you do that I do not get my share from your deposited amount. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be welcomed.