Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I am a 48 yr old who was diagnosed with Fuchs dystrophy 2

I am a 48 yr old who was diagnosed with Fuch's dystrophy 2 yrs ago. My vision has deteriorated rapidly since then, and I can no longer drive at nite, drug store readers no longer work and need distance glasses as well. I find the Muro drops and ointment to be pure hell and not that effective. I have noticed when I travel a difference in my eyes. I live in FL and the humidity I thought would make my eyes worse, but sometimes when I'm in DC it is not better, and possibly worse. The thought of transplants does not sit all that well with me. Have there been any other treatments since my diagnosis?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

What is the vision in your eyes, if you know it? Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Medical management of this condition involves hypertonic saline drops like Muro and therapeutic soft contact lens. A hairdryer can be used to dehydrate the cornea. Surgical management has changed a little as DSEK in place of Penetrating Keratoplasty is becoming commoner. Since, you're 48 years of age there could be other problems like developing cataract which can cause problems in night driving. You should see an ophthalmologist again. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
learning your system here, my vision at last check - 3 mos ago was either 150/100 or 100/150, and i was diagnosed with beginning cataracts. dr recommended total cornea replacement instead of partial. again, not thrilled with either option - any hope that within 3-5 yrs a non-surgical option for me?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Well, anything can happen in the next 3-5 years but in my opinion any miracle in the medical management is not imminent. Since, your doctor advised for corneal transplantation you must be having advanced fuch's dydtrophy. Though the vision you have quoted is not that bad but can not be relid upon as you are not sure about it. In my opinion you should see a cornea specialist. It is also possible that developing cataract may also be contributing to your problems. Thanks and best wishes.