Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My husband is in the Royal Preston Hospital.He went in having

My husband is in the Royal Preston Hospital.He went in having severe headaches for 5 weeks culminating in light phobia and loss of sight in one eye and then little sight in the other.Last year he was diagnosed with Lymes disease so after a while we came to the conclusion that this was connected.All tests so far scans and opthalmist before the day before were ok but since he had a lumbar puncture there is blood behind the eyes.The opthalmologist told him brutally he wouldnt see again.They are trying to save the other eyewith steroids intraveniously.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

The kind of bilateral visual loss described is seen in Optic neuritis( can be seen in infections as in Lyme disease).

The treatment of optic neuritis is Steroids. Initially inj.methylprednisolone 250 mg is given 6th hourly for 3 days IV, followed by oral prednisolone 1mg/kg body weight for 1 month. The maintainence may have to be continued in some individuals even upto 6 months to 1 year (decided by regular examination of the eye).

Since he is already on steroids IV, he is getting treatment on the correct lines.He needs to continue with it as advised as steroids will bring down the optic neuritis and bring back some vision.The visual prognosis is better with early start of steroids.

Blood in the back of the eye could mean haemorrhages in the retina which can be seen in optic neuritis( flame shaped). These will regress on their own over a peroid of weeks irrespective of treatment.

As of now he seems to be receiving the right treatment , You can discuss with the treating doctor for the duration of treatment as he would have examined the eye in detail.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai