Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

What is causing my retinopathy ERG is flat. Severely constricted

What is causing my retinopathy? ERG is flat. Severely constricted visual fields not from the outside in and not from the insid out.The damage is on the bottom, therefore oa paper it appears as if a window shade is closing across my eye from the top down. Both eyes are symmetic.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

What's your vision?

Are both eyes involved?

What's the opinion of your ophthalmologist?

Could you send me your fundus or retina photos?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Etiology unknown

Perhaps autoimmune, but no success with pred.

May be CRR, but no cancer found.

not Lyme disease

Negative for antibodies

Had one reaction to to a 22kD... from UC DavisI stopped driving 2006

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any other other problems besides eye problems like loss of hearing etc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Aches/Pains from arthritis. The 80mg Pred caused two hip replacements and should er surgery is on the way. Also a three week stay in hospital for steriod myopathy. The pains in my eyes are intermittent and very sharp and painful, usually short duration. When pain lasts longer it feels more like the aftermath of a punch.

I have ringing in my ears 100% of the time. But doctors have found no problems.

I did take 400mg plaquenil for 3 years , the Aralen 500 mg for another three years. At that time doctors did not agree on diagnosis of lupus and fibromyalgia.

There is no RPE in my family.

Tonight for the first time, I am seeing double.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

Your retinopathy may be related to some autoimmune process. Autoimmune retinopathies more commonly occur as paraneoplastic syndromes and less commonly as distinct autoimmune disorders. In those disorders in which the retina is involved CAR anti-bodies are found. Since no anti-bodies were found in your case, the diagnosis is not confirmed. Rods and cones both can be involved. Since, you have constricted fields rods seem to be involved. Patients with rod involvement have difficulty seeing in dim lighting, prolonged dark adaptation and peripheral field vision loss. The most common cancers associated with retinopathy include lung cancer, gynaecological cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, lymphoma etc. In most cases of cancer related retinopathy vision loss can occur before the cancer becomes apparent. However, it is not possible for me to tell you more as this much of information is not sufficient for me. You need to discuss it with the treating ophthalmologist who knows a lot more about you. Thanks and best wishes.

Edited by Dr.Shariq Riaz on 2/7/2010 at 11:19 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you were me what eye institute would you try to go to.

England?

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.
Are you from UK or USA?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

You have already been to one of the best hospitals in the world like Mayo Clinic. Still, if you want another opinion you can go to Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. It is very reputed and arguably the best eye hospital in the world. You can follow this link - www.willseye.org I hope, it helps. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED