Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I went to an opthamologist recently explaining that my left

I went to an opthamologist recently explaining that my left eye had lost significant vision in just 6 months, and my right eye, in just a month. He either didn't know the answer, or just didn't tell me. But it worries me greatly. I have suffered from headaches for almost 5 years (all day every day). What do you think?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

What exactly do you mean "my left eye had lost significant vision in just 6 months, and my right eye, in just a month" ?? are you referring to a change in your prescription ? what is the vision with the new glasses ? 20/20 each eye ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, I have always had 20/20 vision, but about 6 months ago, I noticed my left eye was blurry, and I just couldn't see out of it very well. It was like there was a fog over my eye. I could still see, just not as well. Subtitles on the T.V. used to be crystal clear, are now blurry. Then about a month ago, my right eye was the same as the left. I don't know how long it took for it to get that way (I'm sure it wasn't overnight, but it felt that way). So I went to the opthatmologist, and now my vision is 25/25. I am just concerned because I have had severe headaches for about five years. Cat scans and MRI's show nothing, but still I am slightly worried.

hello there

If the ophthalmologist does not note an issue and you have had head scans which are negative, you can stop worrying for the time being. At some point, you should have been tested for diabetes and checked for hypertension. Should you have any further deterioration, I would get in and get testing done. One test would be a visual field, this checks the sensitivity of your eyes' peripheral vision. Next I would evaluate the retina, perhaps do an OCT scan. If these are negative, I would simply observe, I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Stevens!

I have not been tested for diabetes, but I am overweight, and I do have high blood pressure, but I take medicine for the blood pressure (which only is elevated during a severe headache). But I should get checked for diabetes. Thank you for your help.

- Allison Henson

Absolutely, that is important, have a great day, Dr. Stevens