Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Hi, I feel my wife has conjunctivitis, would the drug Zylet

I feel my wife has conjunctivitis, would the drug Zylet be ok for her to you?

Was the Zylet prescribed to her?
When was the last time she was seen by the eye doctor?
Does she wear contact lenses?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it was not, it was prescribed to me her husband, About 2 years, she does not wear contacts.. She works in hospital and is a RN

Zylet is a combination antibiotic and steroid eyedrop. It is important to see an eye doctor to evaluate for any other causes of red eyes. Most conjunctivitis are caused by a virus and as such does not antibiotics are not needed. The steroid component of the eyedrop would help with any inflammation that is present.

So, using the Zylet will help because of the steroid component. There are two caveats, however. If the Zylet is already open, sterility of the contains is not longer assured. The steroid in the Zylet may make things worse and side effects of increased eye pressure is a possibility and should be checked while using it.

The best course of action would be to see any eye doctor to tailor care to her.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button if my answer was helpful. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.