Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Can I purchase anything to help my cataract since I cant afford

Customer Question

Can I purchase anything to help my cataract since I can't afford surgery.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Cataract of the natural lens in the eye is due to certain biochemical changes occuring in the eye with age. There is hydration of the lens along with coagulation of its proteins. Once these changes begin it is not possible to revert them with any drugs.

As of now the only option for cataract is surgery. If the cataract is not very dense then you can wait till it is more mature and then undergo surgery. In the meanwhile the vision can be improved if possible with corrective glasses in the early stage of cataract.An optician will be able to give the required glasses.

There might be some medications which are projected to either delay the progress the cataract or prevent it, but these are not proven and are probably under trial and hence not recommended by Ophthalmologists all over the world.

Thanks and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.