Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I think I have conjunctivitis. It started when i was deep

I think I have conjunctivitis. It started when i was deep cleaning and I have hard floors so there is a lot of dust. my allergies caused me to itch my eye during this process. is it possible that I might just have dust in my eye or that dust in my eye could have cuased conjunctivitis to occur?

Is there any discharge present in the eyes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes a lot

Is it purulent(yellowish or whitish)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes and there is slight pain and sensitivity to light. this has been going on for about 3 hours now
Can you send me a photo of your eye?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont have this type of technology available to me at this time...unfortunately. i'm fairly certain that it is conjunctivitis, I'm wondering if theres anyway dust in my eye could have caused this? so i can rule that out as a cause of my symptoms...

If the discharge is purulent then it should be bacterial conjunctivitis which you would have caught while cleaning from some infected source. Dust can cause allergic conjunctivitis in which the redness is there but the discharge is clear and watery. For bacterial conjunctivitis you can use an anti-biotic drop like Gatifloxacin or Moxifloxacin. The eye should be alright in 2-3 days. You can see an ophthalmologist for confirmation. Thanks and best wishes.

Follow-up questions, if any, are welcome.

In conjunctivitis foreign body sensation is common and so you feel as if something is there in the eye. As it resolves this sensation will go. Thanks.