Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

What are, if any are the dangers in having an eye graffting/or

What are, if any are the dangers in having an eye graffting/or transplant.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 4 years ago.

Hello there

I want to make sure I am answering the right question. It sounds like you have corneal problems following your cataract surgery and you may need a cornea transplant ? Is that correct? If not, can you describe what the issue is and how it has been handled and I can help with the needed surgery ? Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I am told I have a corneal problem following my cataract surgery. I am told these is some thing that would be taken from the eye of a dead person and would be used in a sort of new type of transplat not the whole cornea transplant. That after the surgery I will have to lay on my back for at leat six hours. When I had the cataract surgery the lens was put on the out side not inside as they did on my right eye. This is because the had some problems during the catarct surgery some six years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already sent a reply befor I read your email. I hope you have received it. Thanks

HelloCustomer/p>

I apologize for the delay in answering. Back to your issue, it sounds like you have corneal clouding and decompensation following cataract surgery. The traditional surgery was a cornea transplant. This was a full thickness removal of the old cornea and replacement with a graft taken from a donor. The latest treatment for corneal clouding and vision deterioration is a surgical procedure called DSAEK which is a Partial Thickness Corneal Transplant Endothelial Keratoplasty. This is a much cleaner surgery than the traditional penetrating keratoplasty where the entire cornea is transplanted. The risks of the surgery as in any eye surgery is infection occuring in about 1 in a 1000. Other risks are inflammation, discomfort, transient blurring, all of which are pretty common things one experiences after the surgery. Sometimes a second surgery is needed if the graft misplaces or fails. The positives of this procedure are many. A small incision is made so your overall eye strength and integrity are much better (in case you ever suffer from a fall and possible eye injury). The discomfort of this surgery is minimal versus significant in the traditional surgery. One other positive about it versus traditional cornea transplant is the much faster vision recovery. Overall, the newer procedure that you are referring to is much safer and more convenient, and the procedure I would recommend for most people in your situation. I hope you find this helpful. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reply to me, I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Please do not forget to press Accept, any bonus is appreciated.

Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist