Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My daughter is turning 3yrs old on 2/14. The last couple of

Customer Question

My daughter is turning 3yrs old on 2/14. The last couple of weeks i have noticed her right eye more than the left, but occasionally the left (@ seperate times, they never cross together) has been turning in toward her nose when she is focusing on something. We see her family doctor for her wellness checkup on 2/16, and can't get in to see a pediatric eye specialist until 3/4/10. Is this going to be okay until we see a doctor? The last couple of days I have noticed her squinting her right eye shut a lot more, is there anything I can do to help her now until we see a doctor? What treatments might be involved? Will she end up wearing glasses? Any feedback to help my nerves would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Your daughter needs an orthoptic examination. She could be having squint. There are many types of squint. In some cases, it can be corrected by glasses alone. Some may require orthoptic exercises and some even squint surgery. Waiting till 3/4/10 i not likely to affect her eyes much. However, you should not delay it more. If possible you can see an orthoptist/optometrist earlier. They can also confirm it and will not be costly either. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any more questions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Did not answer any of my questions to satisfaction, please refund my deposit.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
O.K. I am opting out so that other experts can answer you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I not interested in any other experts. I would like my deposit back so I can end my session please. I'll consult w/ my family doctor. thank-you.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
I have reported to the moderator about this but it may take sometime. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I'm another expert - Dr. Stan

I understand your anxiousness - This problem can be corrected significantly with prompt attention.

I agree with Dr. Shariq Riaz. However, I would like to provide you with few additional information to assist you. The unequal eye is related to the problem with the right eye, but would need closer closer with dilated and complete eye examination by the ophthalmologist. It is important to exclude a lesion such Retinoblastoma or other retinal problem at the back of the eye. Once these have been excluded then the regular treatment of Strabismus or Lazy eye can be addressed.

Regarding the eye turning in. it appears that she has lazy eye (strabismus) with the right eye turning in (Esotropia, right eye). If the mis alignment is not corrected, her visual development in the right will become affected - leading to ambylopia (permanent poor vision), especially after age 9. However, the sooner the correction is started the closest to complete and normal recovery she will achieve.

I suggest that you take your daughter to any eye doctor, and not to wait until March 4, 2010. What needs to be done now is to fit your daughter with glasses and force her to use the right eye. In addition, she will probably need her left eye (good eye) patch or blurred in order to force her to use the right eye more. It is important that visual processing occur in the right eye for normal development. The sooner you have her start the process the better. Once corrected early, her eyes will develop well, later in life she may or may not need glasses depending on the difference between the two eyes, or her overall refractive error.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 2/8/2010 at 7:06 PM EST