Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

Hello, I am a healthy 26 year old female. I am myopic (-8

I am a healthy 26 year old female. I am myopic (-8 OD and -7.5 OS).

I was diagnosed with Retinal Pigment Epithieliopathy in August 2009 in both eyes. The right eye is worse than the left eye. I went back in December 2009 and the diagnosis remained unchanged.

I see flashes of light in my central vision in both eyes, which the Opthalmologist told me was due to the RPE. In October 2009, I began seeing more flashes in my RIGHT eye ONLY. These occur each time I look up or down or side to side in my peripheral vision. They are round and there is one big one, and two smaller ones above it, in a curved line. Sort of like this:
o
o
O

I'm not sure if these are related to the RPE. The Opthalmologist said he didn't know what was causing them.

I had a head CT in May 2008, an MRI in October 2008 and a CT in October 2009. No contrast was used in any of these.

Could these be due to RPE, or due to possible vitreous traction that wasn't visible to the MD? Or something more serious?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I would strongly advise you to see a retina specialist as examination is important to confirm the diagnosis. Possibilities include migraine, posterior vitreous detachment, retinal tear, retinal detachment, retinal artery occlusion etc. Vitreous traction can cause flashes of light. An examination is important. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did see a retinal opthalmologist. That's who diagnosed me with the RPE.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

No, I am asking you to see another for a second opinion. I do not think the flashes of light are related to retinal pigment epitheiopathy. If the RPE is perifoveal in location then you may have blurred vision just off center. Eventually the foveal region itself becomes damaged and visual acuity falls. When the RPE is peripheral you may have difficulty in night vision and constriction of visual fields. To rule out other conditions mentioned above you need to see another retina specialist for a second opinion. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.