Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I went to a clinic as I believe I have conjuntivitis, the nurse

I went to a clinic as I believe I have conjuntivitis, the nurse purscribed antiboic eye drops it has been a day both eyes seem to have it I don't see signs of getting better. How long before I see signs. also below eyes seems swollen
Is this the right treatment, should I get different medince/ Tobramycin 0.3 is the medicine I have.

Conjunctivitis could be viral or bacterial infection. Antibiotic eye drops are given in both conditions.

It usually has its own course and takes 1-2 weeks to gradually disappear. Initially even after treatment there might be worsening of symptoms and results are usually seen within 3-4 days( except in viral conjunctivitis where symptoms increase in the first week and recede in the second week)

For the swelling you can take Tab.Paracetamol 500 mg twice a day for 3 days.

Tobramicin eye drops is correct and you can continue it . Instill one drop 6 times a day for 1 week and stop if symptoms disappear.

Avoid warm compresses as it can worsen the condition.

Thanks and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 2/5/2010 at 11:27 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure what this is? Tab.Paracetamol 500 mg is it like advil?

Tab.Paracetamol is an anti-inflammatory drug that reduces inflammation and swelling( it has anti-pyretic properity too).It is not like advil( anti histaminic).

Paracetamol is available OTC.

Dr.A.S.Desai