Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

2 years history of eye problems due to diabetes

I have a 2 years history of eye problems due to diabetes and possibly hypertension. Both had palsies, like a year apart, and never got 100 % better. But enough for me to have my normal life. I remember some sudden dark spots in the vision field that would have several colors, specially when I blinked the eyes. Then the thing would fade away and after months would go away almost completely.
About 2 weeks ago a new dark spot (that sometimes look like bright metal shinning at the sun) came back. I felt... It will go away like the others. For about 10 days now that spot is accompanied by some rotating flashes of light, more visible in darker rooms, that comes and goes during the day and when I close the eyes it appears as a distant star that floats in the vision field and then fades.
Help? : Louis Melo
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing the symptoms of cholesterol crystals called asteroid hyalosis. This is common in diabetes with eye problem, and can cause sun-like shining and refractile sensations, floaters and flashes as you are experiencing. They are usually not harmful, except when they become severe and significantly affect your vision. In addition, the flashes and floaters can be posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) and retinal detachment (RD). So, I would suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation. In cases when asteroid hyalosis is severe the retinal eye drop can perform vitrectomy to resolve it.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the answer.
The asteroid hyalosis is something new to me. It might be the case. The possible retina detachment I am not sure since the symptoms include Blurred vision
Flashes of bright light often at the outer edges of vision range (peripheral vision)
Blind spot(s) that are characterized as floaters or specks of dust floating in the eye
Curtain or shade blocking part of the vision
Near or total blindness in the eye.
I don't have any blurred vision, nor blind spots or curtains, etc.
Just the sudden flashes of light that look like an electric discharge and it seems to rotate in the air following my eye movement. Then fades away and goes. Later will come back. In the morning after a all night rest when I wake up it's not there. It comes back later in the day and if I am outside at the day light I don't notice it or rarely.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply.

As you see me impression is asteroid hyalosis. The retinal detachment is very unlikely. However, it is the standard of practice to think about those conditions that share symptoms in common with the likely condition. You do not have retinal detachment.