Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Hi, I have a 5 week old baby with a hair stuck in her eye.

Hi, I have a 5 week old baby with a hair stuck in her eye. I have tried to float it out with a saturated cotton wall ball and I still cant get it out. What shall I do? Will it come out itself if I leave it. I am worried if I keep trying to get it out I will cause more damage than good.

Welcome to Just Answer:

I suggest that you first use clean distilled water in a wash bottle to irrigate the eye. If that fails, then you can apply a lubricant gel (Refresh or Gentealn Gel) on a cotton tip application and use it to drag it out. Then, instill preservative free tear drop such as Refresh in the eye 4 times daily for 1 day to sooth the eye from irritation. Howver, if the above fails, then follow-up with the eye doctor so that it can be carefully removed.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 2/4/2010 at 11:26 PM EST