Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

A soda bottle exploded and the top hit my eye, when it healed

A soda bottle exploded and the top hit my eye, when it healed the Iris had meshed with the sclera causing the eye to:
1. elongate the pupil,
2. cause a shift in the focal point to about 2 inches above that of the other eye.
3. increse the pressure inside the eye.
Q. can this condition be fixed and if so how?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

How is the vision in the affected eye?

Is the cornea clear?

How high is the pressure in the eye?

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the cornea is clear, the pressure if I remember correctly is 75 something I currently wear glasses to read but don't need them to drive, my right eye (good eye) is 20/15

and the left (the bad one) believe it or not only dropped to 20/20 when it was 20/15.

First we need to bring down the intraocular pressure from 75 mm hg to below 21 mm hg. This will take time , may be few days. Tab. Acetazolamide 250 mg sixth hourly till pressure normalises. Timolol maleate 0.5% eye drops twice a day to bring down the pressure.

Next we need to evaluate the reason for raised intraocular pressure after trauma. It could be secondary open angle glaucoma.( needs confirmation with eye tests)

The pupil need not be corrected as long as there is no photophobia.

I could not understand what you meant by shift in the focal point. Has the eyeball got displaced?? Is there a squint/proptosis(protruded eyeball)? What is the duration of injury?

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the shift in focus, I am told, is because the pupil was pulled up so that the two pupils are no longer aligned, thus at approximately 24" the left wye focuses above the focus of the right eye. the trama where the iris and sclera bonded is ar the top of the iris.

As I mentioned earlier the first priority is to lower the intraocular pressure as explained.

Correction of pupil depends on the extent of iris injury. If there is disinsertion from its root called iridodialysis then it can be sutured. If it is too ragged then it may not be feasible to suture it.

So you can discuss with your ophthalmologist , who can best evaluate the extent of injury and then advice for any corrective surgery.

But first you need to control the raised intraocular pressure as mentioned earlier.

Thanks and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince