Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

hi - ive had the following symptoms for six months. it started

Customer Question

hi - i've had the following symptoms for six months. it started with dry eyes - had to remove my daily disposable contract lenses after 6 hours - eyes were very irritated.

After one month, i reduced contact lens wear to once a week. No improvement in symptoms - worsening - have white, stringy discharge and severe burning. Stopped wearing lenses.

Its now been 6 months - i have itchy eyelids, constant foreign body sensation in my eyes, redness, dryness and cannot at sleep at night because they are so irritated. when i wake up my eyes are stuck together. i am a female of 29 years and this has made me very depressed and suicidal. My eyes are always watering and look red - people think I am crying.

I was taking amitriptyline and an oral contraceptive with anti-androgen for two years - i didnt have any problem - i stopped both medicinces as soon as my eyes began to change.

for the last 18 months I was using anti redness eyedrops which contain benzalkonium chloride. I stopped using eye drops with a preservatives for 5 months. i though this will make my eyes heal.

I saw my optometrist - she said use allergy eye drops - i used sodium cromoglycate for two weeks no relief.

I've used lid scrubs, hot compresses, omega 3 and tetracycline oral antibiotic.

one further piece of information - i',m not using any new cosmetics/perfumes/cleanser/new diet etc.

for 18 months i was using a halogen lamp very close to my face (4cms away from eyes), one hour daily for cosmetic application - i didnt know that these lamps emit uv radiation. i've stopped the lamp.

do you think the lamp and medication have caused my severe dry eyes and that my eye eyes will heal over time? I'm in continuous discomfort ( lubricating drops make my eyes feel tight) and i dont look attractive ( i need to find a husband!).

Please help me

thank you in advance

seema

contact lens wear to
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing severe symptoms of dry eyes with complication of filamementary keratoplasty (strings of conjunctiva/cornea mucus discharge mixed with dead cells and debris). These stringy mucus filamentary keratopathy tend to stick tightly to the cornea and conjunctiva and cause persistent irritation with burning sensation and disrupt the tear film. In addition to attempting to treat these filaments, a closer evaluation of the problem is needed.

I would suggest that your doctor consider other possible under autoimmune connective tissue or vascular disorder with could be contributing to these problem with tests such as ANA, C-reactive protein, RF, Jo1, SSA (Rho), SSB (La), TSH, ACE, and ANCA panel.
In the meantime, in addition to eye lid hygiene, preservative free tear drops, omega-3, doxycycline or tetracycline, you will need a prescription for the 10% mucomyst drops (N-acetylcysteine) - you local pharmacist can also be able to compound it for you with prescription from your doctor.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Also,
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i know you cant answer this 100% - what do you think i have? mgd, blepharitis or GPC?

and what do you think about my possible causes the meds and the UV lamp?

do you think it is chronic?

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank for you so much for your reply:

It is likely that you started with GPC due the side effect of BAK containing meds, and then the affected conjunctiva led to MGD due to the obstruction of the meibomian glands. The chronic or intense UV light exposure can cause solar retinopathy - this can be determined with dilated eye examination by your retinal eye specialist.