Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Pupil is enlarged following cataract surgery a month ago.

Pupil is enlarged following cataract surgery a month ago. Won't decrease. Is this going to be a permanent condition? Very distracting in sunlight or bright snow. Robert
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that there is still some unresolved inflammation in the eye. In addition, the trauma from manipulating the iris during the surgery may have caused slow regain of contraction sensitivity by the constrictor muscles in the iris. Considering the you are light sensitive, this may support persisting inflammation. I suggest that your eye doctor evaluate you closer to adequately treat the inflammation, and not stop the drops too soon. In addition, if the pupil is not round to exclude that the lens implant is not pulling on the iris inside the eye. This is resolve, but may take a little more time.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.