Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

got shoot in eye..beebee optic nerve

Customer Question

got shoot in eye with beebee optic nerve has been damaged what can i do to restore my sight
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Have you been told by your ophthalmologist about the nature of involvement of the optic nerve?

Do you know what your vision is like?

What antibiotics have you received?

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
didnt really understand what you mean buy the involvement i know the nerve works with the brain maxitrol ,atropine,vigamox,tobrabex

You said the optic nerve was damaged( just wanted to know what kind of damage was observed). There are so many different types of lesions of the optic nerve -

1.Traumatic optic neuropathy- Poor recovery of vision
2.Optic neuritis- inflammation of optic nerve- responds well with steroid therapy with good recovery of vision
3.Optic atrophy- poor recovery of vision
4.Papilloedema- initially vision is not affected and loss of vision is later once atrophy sets in

Once damaged the optic nerve cannot regenerate and vision lost cannot be regained with any form of treatment. Only associated inflammation can be reduced with steroids orally which may improve vision marginally.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the iris is torn and ruptured globe and beebee sitting in optic nerve

With the kind of injury you have described , the chances of visual recovery are very bleak. There is nothing much that can be done to improve vision.

You need to discuss with your Ophthalmologist for the further line of treatment.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai