Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My question is can it do crazy things to your vision

Customer Question

Hello im a F 33 yrs of age. I have suffered with Anxiety & Stress sence I was 18 & was doing ok up till 6 mths ago I started getting them real bad again. My question is can it do crazy things to your vision? Im having bright blue spots come into my vision & leave very fast. 1 time I went to ER because my vision went blk right when I looked at my computer screen. The DR said it was from my Anxiety. Then it came back to normal & hasnt done it sence. The blue spots just started about 2 wks ago. Can stress & anxiety cause this??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Stress and anxiety do not directly cause these symptoms. The blue spots which you are seeing could be a floater which is common in those with myopia.

As for the vision going blank for few seconds , it is called transient obscuration of vision. It can be seen in migraine ( with or without headache) . Anxiety and stress can trigger an attack of migraine.

If you have been put on anti-anxiety medication you can continue the same.You can ignore the blue spots unless you feel there is a shower of these spots suddenly or a curtain falling in the line of vision in which case you will need a retina examination to look out for any retinal lesion.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.