Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

If I have an excess amount of conjunctiva, do you recommend

If I have an excess amount of conjunctiva, do you recommend removal of some?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

You can just leave the conjunctiva as it is for now. The indication for excision would not be that it causes dry eyes but that the excess conjunctiva is hanging out of the lid and causing improper closure of the lids which in turn can result in exposure and dryness of the eyes.

Otherwise excision of conjunctiva does not reduce inflammation per se. You can as well leave the conjunctiva as such.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say leave it for now, is there a time when it would be good to remove it, and is it a time when it is considered too much of it? Also, what causes it to form? You are right, it is overlapping the eyelid, causing dryness. What do you recommend for comfort in the meantime.
Hello again,

For the time being you will get relief from Refresh Tears eye drops, one drop 4 times a day. These drops are lubricating eye drops which prevent and treat dry eyes.

The decision to operate can be taken after an eye examination. There is no time for its removal. As I said excess conjunctiva is only removed if it is hanging out of the lid preventing its proper closure resulting in exposure. If it is so in your case you can discuss with your ophthalmologist and go ahead with a simple excision( small procedure).

Thanks and best wishes.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince