Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

my friend has two kids went to international med school in

Customer Question

my friend has two kids went to international med school in Caribeen. i want my kid goes ther too, then i asked them what to do they denied to answer anything.i decided to ask some expect right here. my question is what international medical school good for my kid applying. how can i apply for international student loan? how many year they have to stay there? i live in California then after they graduate there and past all the us exam and get a license Does my kid can work in California? thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Has your child graduated college?
Has you look at any schools yet?
What type of doctor does your child want to be?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my child will graduate from high school in summer. i look at the Ross school and caribeen med school. my child want to be the ophthalmologist doctor
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Your child will still need to graduate college before considering medical school, either in the US or in the Caribbean. The advantage of a Caribbean medical school is that it is much easier to get into. The disadvantages are that it can be more expensive and more difficult to get the specialty he wants.

My recommendation is that he do well in college and try to go a US medical school. If he wants to work in California, going to a California medical school will be the best choice. If he is unable to go to a US medical school, then Ross or the other medical schools are options as well. He will still need to finish college before choosing a US or Caribbean medical school.

Please remember to press the accept button if my answer has been helpful so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my friend 's children go directly from high school to there, then right now the boy become a specialist doctor in pregnant and baby- the daughter become family doctor already. does is it true? have you ever known anything about that?, thank you
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Yes it is possible to attend school in the Caribbean right out of high school. St. Georges University has a pre-medical program which then allows your child to enter into the 4 year medical program afterwards. Click on the link below for more information.

http://www.sgu.edu/school-of-medicine/sgu-doctor-medicine.html

Please click ACCEPT if my answer is helpful.