Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

6mths after cateract operation one eye has deterioated to pre.

6mths after cateract operation one eye has deterioated to pre. op.vision how serious is this ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

When was your last eye exam?
What has your doctor said as to the cause of this vision loss?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
10 days ago. Optromist could not see anything wrong in numerous tests. Refered me to hospital that did operation awaiting response/consultation.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Did your optometrist dilate your eyes?
What was your vision measured at? 20/20? 20/40?...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes did dilate. optical perscirtion does not state 20/?? condition
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

The most likely reason for the cause of your decrease vision is scarring of the membrane behind your lens implant. This is very common after cataract surgery. The optometrist would have seen it after your were dilated. A laser procedure to remove that scarring is done in the office. This should restore your vision to how it was after the surgery.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button if my answer was helpful. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the optrometrist said he could not see any reason for deteriation and asked me to get the hospital to please let him know their diagnosis?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

The most likely reason would be the scarring I discussed earlier. Another possibility could be swelling of the retina in the back of the eye. This is less obvious on exam and other tests are useful in detecting any swelling. These additional test are not readily available in the office but likely available in the hospital or more specialized office.

Please remember to press the accept button if my answer has been helpful so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last question, is this serious/operable/
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

For scarring behind the lens, all that is needed is a simple office laser procedure. It is painless and takes 5-10 minutes.