Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

My daughter presented one day with pink, watery eyes one day

My daughter presented one day with pink, watery eyes one day and a runny nose. I took her to the pediatrician whom said she probably had a viral infection. He prescribed her Gentamycin eye drops. I am not sure why this was prescribed for viral conjunctivitis. It was clear this was not bacterial. After one day of giving her 4 doses as prescribed she woke up the next day very photophobic and constant tearing. The drops seemed to make her symptoms worse. I took her to the eye doctor who then diagnosed her with bilateral circular corneal abrasions. This was then thought to be an act of child abuse.... Now knowing that the saftey and effectiveness of the eye drops was never established in infants could this possibly been a cause? The abrasions were perfect thought is when the drops comes out of the dropper it is a circle! There was no subconjunctival hemorraghes. No iritis present and no retinal hemorraghes. How could this of been child abuse without any indicators?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Even in viral conjunctivitis, ophthalmologists often write anti-biotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Bilateral circular corneal abrasion are not mentioned as it's side effects in literature that I checked. Eye irritation, burning, stinging or even swelling of the eye can occur due to gentamicin drops. Circular corneal abrasion must be a very rare finding. Circum corneal injection though is vey common and can occur in many disease states and it may be associated with photophobia. May be because the condition is not known that a diagnosis of child abuse was made. You need to discuss it with the treating doctor. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it is not in the literature because the saftey and effectiveness has never been established in infants. If she did not have bacterial conjunctivitis there was no bacteria for it to kill. In return it killed the normal flora on her corneas and caused the abrasions...a chemical abrasion. Do you think this could of been a possibility?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Studies are not done on infants because of ethical reasons but if an infant comes with conjunctivitis one has to prescribe anti-biotics. However, in viral conjunctivitis, anti-biotics may not be prescribed especially if the diagnosis is clear. In my clinical practice I have never seen perfect complete corneal abrasion and that too bilateral and this includes adults also. Another thing is why did it happen in both eyes when she was having conjunctivitis in only one eye and so must be using drop in only the concerned eye. However, a diagnosis of child abuse should also not be made just by this finding. I mean the doubt will be there regarding the diagnosis. Thanks.

Follow-up questions if any are most welcome.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
I think your daughter should be seen by a cornea specialist for a second opinion. There may be other signs which can aid in making the diagnosis clear. Thanks and best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She was seen by a corneal specialist. Gentamyicin was the answer.