Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

under my eyes will not tan, it had just started a few years

under my eyes will not tan, it had just started a few years ago. Can you tell me what this is and what
I can do about it
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that there is relatively low melanin pigments in the skin under your eyes due to sunburn or other cause. This can be caused by autoimmune conditions in which the reaction of the immune cells produce antibodies that block the production of melanin in area. There are variations of trace vitiligo that show as subtle inability to tan in some area of the skin.

I suggest that you follow-up with your dermatologist for closer evaluation to exclude any underlying system autoimmune problem by testing for ANA, TSH, ESR, C-reactive protein, and; if possible take a small sample (biopsy) of your affected skin. In addition, your eye doctor (ophthalmologist) should evaluate your eyes closely for inflammation in your eye (uveitis) which may this as a manifestation of autoimmune disorder. This will enable your doctor design effective treatment.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.