Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

50% water in the lower lid area of my right eye

18 hrs ago I got a solution of 50% household bleach and 50% water in the lower lid area of my right eye. I was wearing googles and the bleach pooled in the base of the googles from the drops that accumulated while spraying an area. I flushed for about 5-10 min total, first with water and then with saline solution. The stinging stopped and the redness decreased in a few hours. It is not red today but feels irritated. I did develop a headache and later I had occassional twitching of the lower eye lid which went away in a few hours. My headache is on the right side and slight today. No change in vision. I read chemical burns can have delayed sypmtoms and can lead to severe eye damage. Should I go to a doctor? Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

You did the correct thing by flushing out the bleach right away. You read correctly that some of the symptoms can be delayed. This is especially true if there is still bleach hidden in the folds of the eye tissues.

You should go to an ophthalmologist to assess the extent of any damage to the surface of the eyes and also determine if there is still bleach present. This is done by testing the pH of the tears. If it is not normal, then your doctor will irrigate the eyes further until the pH is normal.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button if my answer was helpful. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If there is still bleach in the folds of the eye, would my irritation decrease, remain the same or get worse?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the followup question.

The folds I'm referring to would be the space between the eyelid and eyeball itself. If there is still bleach there, then the irritation would be worse or the same, unlikely to get better until all the bleached is rinsed away.

Please remember to press the accept button if my answer has been helpful so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon