Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My GRANDDAUGHTER HAS PERFECT VISION, BUT THE LAST WEEK OR TWO,

Customer Question

My GRANDDAUGHTER HAS PERFECT VISION, BUT THE LAST WEEK OR TWO, SHE HAS BEEN HAVING PAIN BEHIND HER EYEBALLS. She had a bad headache a couple of weeks ago, but no headache since. Just hurting behing her eyeballs.??????
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Is it one eye or both eyes?
When was her last eye exam?
Does she have sensitivity to light?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is behing both eyes. She had her eyes checked in last year and was told her vision is 20/20. She has no trouble seeing, reading or blurrred vision. She just had a bad headache and ever since, she has hurting behind her eyes. I don't think she is sensitive to light, but not exactly for sure. It has hurt bad enough that she has cried a couple of times, and she does not cry easily.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

There are two possibilities for which eye problems can cause a headache/eye pain. The first is the need for glasses.

1. She can be farsighted. In this condition, the vision can be still quite good, but the eyes are constantly needing to focus to compensate for the refractive error. This constant focusing can cause eye strain and headaches.

2. She can also have inflammation inside the eyes. This is called iritis or uveitis. This is usually in one eye and the whites of the eyes may be red as well. Sensitivity to light is a prominent feature of iritis.

I'd recommend she see an eye doctor for a full exam and look particularly for the two possibilities I've discussed above.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button if my answer was helpful. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could this just have started, though. She had no hurting or trouble like this before a couple of weeks ago. Why would it have just started?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

The refractive error can have no symptoms if your granddaughter was able to compensate for it. There is a tipping point where your daughter's constant focusing can cause pain and headaches. In these cases, it can appear to come about suddenly.

If it is inflammation inside the eyes, this can definitely come about suddenly.

Please remember to press the accept button if my answer has been helpful so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

You're welcome. Best wishes to your granddaughter.

Please remember to accept if my answer was helpful to you.