Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

my retina has been swollen..course my vision is blurred..eye drops

Ever since I had catarct surgery on 4/10/2009, my retina has been swollen and of course my vision is blurred. My Dr, has given me eye drops to use M-W-F but nothing has helped.
Am I stuck with this problem for the rest of my life (I'm 69 now)?
How do I find the best retina specialist in my area (Chattanooga, TN)?
My vision in that eye is 20/100
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult recovery after cataract surgery. Swelling of the retina is quite common after cataract surgery, however it is rare to have the swelling bad enough to cause decrease vision. Most will resolve in the first few months of the recovery, so it appears your swelling has been particularly bad.

The condition is called CME or cystoid macular edema. The first step in treatment is with two type of anti-inflammatory eye drops (steroid and NSAID). If the swelling is persistent, then treatment is with an injection of medicine on the surface of the eye which you've already had. The next step may be to inject the steroid medicine directly into the central cavity of the eye.

The condition is still treatable. The best way to find a retina doctor is a direct referral from your cataract surgeon. If you're unable to get a referral from your current doctor, here is list of other doctors in your area. fox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=1GM&ei=GB5nS_2fKom2sgOa88CdAw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAgQBSgA&q=retina+specialists+chattanooga,+tn&spell=1

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button if my answer was helpful. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.