Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My eyes water almost every day. Eye drops for dry eye doesnt

My eyes water almost every day. Eye drops for dry eye doesn't seem t o do any good.
I've tried Claritin and it only works part of the t ime.
I've Benedryl it works part of time, but also makes me constipated and I have dry skin to start with.

Isn't there something else that can be done for watery eyes. My get so sore from wiping them so much!!!! It also makes it difficult to do things like read or needle work.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Is it one eye or both eyes?
When did this start?
Have you seen an eye doctor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In both eyes, my right eye more than my left.
It started a year ago.
Yes, and he says it's dry eye and to use Systane eyedrops 4 times a day. None of which helped
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

It is important to make the distinction between dry eyes causing tearing versus insufficient drainage of tears. To evaluate for the latter, your doctor would inject fluid into your tear ducts and see if it drains into the nose.
If you are using artificial tears more than 4 times a day, it may be beneficial to start using the preservative free artificial tears. You may also ask your doctor to see if Restasis, a medication used twice a day, would be beneficial in your case.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button if my answer was helpful. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.