Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Symptoms Bloodshot eye has gotten progressively worse today.

Symptoms: Bloodshot eye has gotten progressively worse today. I've had a headache for several days. I have mild pain on my eyeball, it's burning a little and it feels a little swollen. Do I need to go to the ER tonight or can I wait until a clinic opens in the morning?

Bloodshot eyes usually due to a condition called as sub-conjunctival haemorrhage. There is rupture of very small blood vessels (capillaries) in the white of the eye(conjunctiva). It usually takes 10-12 days to disappear. It may look worse and become darker as it resolves.It can occur with trivial injury/excessive coughing/sneezing/even otherwise.

You can wait till morning and get examined by your ophthalmologist later.

For the headache you can take Tab.paracetamol 500mg SOS and repeat 12 hours later if headache persists.

You can put Refresh Tears eye drops , one drop four times a day for the burning sensation(available OTC).

Thanks and Regards.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 1/30/2010 at 3:37 AM EST