Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i have one eye that is constantly itchy, and i think that the

i have one eye that is constantly itchy, and i think that the eyelid is tender, what is this and what gets rid of the itch?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Itching of the eyes is often a sign of ocular allergies. Zaditor is an anti-allergy eye drop that blocks the histamine receptors. It is a good medicine if you have allergies. Refresh tears is a lubricant used for dry eyes.

It is not common for allergies to be only in one eye, but possible. Because your symptoms are not typical of ocular allergies, it would be best for you to see an ophthalmologist to determine if there is another cause of the itch. He can also prescribe a corticosteroid eye drop which is more powerful than the Zaditor.

In the mean time, you can try chilling the Refresh tears as this often helps reduce some of the itching sensation.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my itching is only in one eye...the right side there somehting that I should avoid? What could cause this if it isnt an the past the only allergies I have had are hayfever from grass in the summertime. thanks!
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

You can have a chronic conjunctivitis. The causes includes a wide spectrum. It can be related to your contact lenses as you alluded earlier. It can also be related to your sleep habits especially if you have a tendency to sleep on your right side and your upper eyelid may sometimes flip over (floppy eyelid syndrome). It can also be related to different infections which included the virus molluscum and HSV or due to chlamydia.

Don't be alarmed by the last sentence. I've listed all the possibilities, of which there are many. Your ophthalmologist's job is to decide which is most likely in your situation after a thorough exam.

Please remember to accept if my answer has been helpful to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont wear contacts or hopefully there is an easier thing that is wrong...what is involved with an eye exam, as I dont think I have really ever had one, or at least I havent had one in many many years so I dont remember. thanks!
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Your vision is first checked, then your doctor will use a apparatus called a slit lamp which is a essentially a high powered microscope to look at your eyes in detail. He should flip your upper eyelids to look a the tissue on the back side of the eyelids. He may also place different stains on your eyes that helps detect any abnormalities. Your eyes will be numbed with eye drops so you won't feel any pain, though you may have a slight discomfort from the bright lights.

A sample picture of what an exam is like.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hopefully last it bad if I dont like any thing touching my eyes, including eye drops...I dont think I could ever wear contacts or anyhtign like that. thanks!
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Speaking from personal experience, I've been able to examine even the most sensitive patients. It may take a little longer if your eyes are sensitive, but usually not a problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for all the help!
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the green accept button so I can get credit for assisting you today. Best wishes.