Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I have what my dr indicates is a broken blood vessel in my

I have what my dr indicates is a broken blood vessel in my eye. However, my eye appears much worse then the pictures I've seen of others with this problem. My eye looks like it is sitting in a pool of dark red blood, there is no portion of my eye that is white. Someone told me it looks like a hugh blood clot sitting on my eye. Is it possible this is something more serious the a burst vessel?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

Hello there

are you on any type of blood thinning medicines such as asprin, motrin, naprosyn, aleve, ibuprofen ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The medications I take are aleve, lipitor and lasik I only take the lasix a couple of times a month when my legs swell.

Hi again,

As you know, this is what we call a subconjunctival hemorrhage. While its appearance can be alarming, it isn't a serious problem. It happens when a blood vessel in the conjunctiva (the white part of the eye) breaks and releases blood. This often tends to occur after frequent sneezing, coughing, after rubbing the eye or for no apparent reason. It tends to happen more frequently in people who have high blood pressure or you use blood thinning medicines, such as asprin, motrin, plavix, vitamin e, coumadin, among others. The blood will be reabsorbed into the body within a couple of weeks. There is nothing you can do to make it go away sooner. Usually, there is a sensation of the eye feeling slightly full, or a mild pressure sensation and using artificial tears can help with this symptom. Dont be alarmed by the fact that yours goes around 360 degrees, it is simply due to your use of aleve. If it keeps on recurring in the same eye, you should get your eye examined after it heals to make sure there is not some abnormal blood vessel there that is prone to bleeding but this is very unlikely. I hope you find this helpful, I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

This link has a pic of a very small hemorrhage
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it normal for my eye to be watering with this condition?
Yes, it is normal, due to irritation on the surface from the abnormal elevation of the ocular tissues or even some temporary blockage of the punctum (drainage opening of the tear duct). Sorry for the late reply, Regards XXXXX XXXXX