Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I saw a sparkling zigzag ribbon in my field of vision for

I saw a sparkling zigzag "ribbon" in my field of vision for about 15 minutes this morning. I was sitting on the couch watching CNN. Should I be concerned? I'm a 50 y.o. female. The only med I'm on is HCTZ for my bp. I wear glasses for nearsightedness.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptom of posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). This is common, and not harmful. This is due to the melting of pockets of the clear gel inside the eye, which sometimes detach from the back of the eye, and cause floating and visual sensation as you had experienced. This tends to occur with increasing age, and floater is also one of the signs of PVD. In general, the management is observation, and routine dilated eye exam, except if it worsens and become severe and affect your vision, the eye doctor would consider removing the melted vitreous. I suggest that you plan a scheduled dilated eye exam with your eye doctor to exclude any retina tear.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.