Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I am seeing floating black circles with a dot in the center.

I am seeing floating black circles with a dot in the center. Is it anything to worry about?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquifies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters.

Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying. New floaters can sometimes be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.