Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

what would cause degenerative tissue on visible part of eye,

what would cause degenerative tissue on visible part of eye, possibly the incision site, to form 8 months after DESK>
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Is the degenerative tissue on the nose side running upto ornea? Are you referring to the pterygium? Could you send me a photo by attaching it to your next reply? Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is right next to iris on side closest to my ear. It looks similar to a pimple and is raised. It sometimes irritates the inside of my lid, especially when I'm tired. It was the doctor who called it "degenerative tissue" but wouldn't/couldn't elaborate. He also said, "but the good news is the DSEK is fine". He increased my Lotemax drop to 3x/day for one week. This had no effect. I am unable to send a photo. Sorry.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

This may or may not be related to the entry point that is made to enter the eye. However, the best thing is that DSEK is fine as your doctor said. This raised pimple may have resulted from scarring or fibrosis of the incision made during the surgery or may be unrelated to it. It is not going to cause much harm to the eye except some irritation. You can use a lubricating eye drop like Refresh Tears 3-4 times to reduce this irritation. It may go with time. You can discuss it with your ophthalmologist. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My concern is the possibility of it getting worse, larger, affecting my vision. The DSEK will be pointless if this happens. I am supposed to have the DSEK done on my other eye soon but am now unsure if I will. Doesn't "degenerative" mean it WILL get worse?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

A photo would have been helpful. Since, it is not in the visual axis it is not likely to affect vision so DSEK should not be affected. Your ophthalmologist was probably initilally thinking it to be inflammatory and so he prescribed a steroid Lotemax but it did not resolve. It may or may not be degenerative. Degenerative does not mean that it is a cause of serious concern. My guess is that it is not likely to cause any harm except for some irritation in which case lubricating drops will help. It is very unlikely to affect DSEK. However, since I have not examined you this should be confirmed from the treating ophthalmologist. Thanks and best wishes.