Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

my eyelids are swollen and my eyes burn.. and the rim on the

my eyelids are swollen and my eyes burn.. and the rim on the bottom are red... do i have to go see an eye doctor
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing the symptoms of blepharitis (infection with inflammation of the eyelids). This is common, and can resolve with proper treatment with medications such as doxycycline 100 mg by mouth twice daily for 14 days; eyelid hygiene with 50% diluted baby shampoo for scrubbing eyelids twice daily with warm compresses; use of lotemax drop or zylet drop or tobradex drop 4 times daily for 3 days, then 3 times daily for 3 days, then twice daily for 3 days and finally once daily for 3 days. In addition, in between use tear drop lubricant 4 times daily.

This should help resolve this problem. I suggest that you stop the vaseline and hydrocortisone cream. You may continue with the neosporin and eyelid hygiene, warm compresses, and tear lubricant until you are able to get the prescription for doxycycline and Tobradex or Zylet or Lotemax from your eye doctor.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.