Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I had cataract surgery today and my eye is watering profusely.

I had cataract surgery today and my eye is watering profusely. I have Xibrom drops but that does not seem to help.The eye feels scratchy as I thought it would but the excessive watering is concerning me. Is this a normal side effect of the surgery?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

I am an ophthalmologist and can answer your question. The excessive watering can be due to surface irritation with resultant overflow tearing. This is common after the anesthetic has worn off (1-2 hours after the surgery). You should contact your ophthalmologist if you have significant pain or significant decrease in vision. You should also notify your surgeon to let him know in case he would like to see your earlier.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.