Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

(ages 8 and 6) to an ophthalmologist for eye exams..wear glasses

I live in Eastern Europe and took my two children (ages 8 and 6) to an ophthalmologist for eye exams. They both wear glasses for farsightedness. The doctor prescribed Atropin 0.5% and instructed me to give each child one drop per eye twice a day, for seven days, and then bring them back for the exam. I gave the drops twice, and the children had such blurred vision that they couldn't read or write. I stopped the drops. Is there any reason to give drops for a week before an exam? The children have had eye exams in America in which their pupils were dilated once while in the office; this new doctor said that that "short exam" is not as effective as the one she wants to give.

Thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 4 years ago.

Hello there

the atropine causes relaxation of the muscles that we use for focusing and allows a more accurate refraction exam in kids. The effects of the atropine last about a week, sometimes 2 weeks. Since you have already used the drops and the kids will be dilated for another week anyways, try to get in and have them examined this week so your efforts are not wasted. The most accurate exam in kids will be one where the pupil is dilated and muscles are relaxed as with atropine, referred to as a cycloplegic refraction. Have a good day, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your fast response. Just to clarify -- I have the eye exams scheduled for Friday afternoon. However, the doctor wanted me to give the drops twice a day for SEVEN days prior to the exam! Is there any reason that you know of for administering the drops repeatedly before the exam? She said it would produce better results than just a single application. Does this make any sense? Thanks!
Yes, more applications of the medicine allow more of it to penetrate. Also maximal effect begins after a few days. In my experience 3-4 days of daily morning or nighttime application is sufficient. It is more of a preference to treat a whole week in advance. Regards XXXXX
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist