Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Was there ever any metal used in a scleral buckle I was recently

Was there ever any metal used in a scleral buckle? I was recently refused an MRI because the radiologist was concerned about there being metal in the buckle which I had done in 1982 at Mass. Eye & Ear Hosp.
George Flint [email protected]
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Scleral buckles are commonly made of silicone and currently the material of choice for operations done today. Other materials that have been used for scleral buckling include fascia lata, palmaris tendon, plantaris tendon, knee cartilage, donor sclera, dura mater, polyviol, polyethylene, encircling nonabsorbable and absorbable sutures, gelatin, and hydrogel. Metal is not used for scleral buckling surgery.

I would recommend you address the issue again with the radiologist and ask him to provide evidence regarding his concern. You should also ask for a letter from your ophthalmologist or retinal surgeon who can look over your medical records and verify the material used.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.