Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My ophthalmogist diagnosed on 12-22 that my punctus are closed.

Customer Question

My ophthalmogist diagnosed on 12-22 that my punctus are closed. I can't see a specialist for a consultation until Jan. 25th. I am using artificial tears & Systane eyedrops. I work via my computer. Am I damaging my eyes worse by doing this & reading? Is there a timeframe by when surgery must be done? I don't have insurance & I don't want this to get to the point that I have to rush to emergency. Many thanks for your advice. My phone is XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

No, you will not be damaging your eyes by working on the computer or using them. There is no specific time frame for the surgery. However, the sooner the earlier your vision will be less blurred. If the tear drops is helping, then you can wait until ready or if it worsens. In addition to the tear drop, I would suggest that perform eyelid hygiene with 50% diluted baby shampoo, using it on a cotton swab to clean your eye lashes twice daily, then rinse with warm water and compresses. This will prevent any infection of the duct and further obstruction.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you until you are satisfied.

I hope this information is helpful. If agree, please press the ACCEPT button for this assist. Thank you so much.

A positive feedback and/or bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This is for information only and should not replace the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Stan -

Is there a chance that the ducts can reopen by themselves or is surgery imperative? Without seeing my eyes can you tell me what type of a proceedure it is (is there only 1?) & what to expect?

I was using some acne medication on my face: Cloderm, Cordran, Metrogel, & Finacea (in that order) and someone told me that that's what probably caused the ducts to close. Is that true?

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

It appears that you may have blephritis in addition (infection of the eyelids). The Metrogel and the other medications are likely not the cause of clogged ducts, however, what they are intended to treat acne/Rosasea will cause the ducts to clogged due to inflammation and/or infection. The ducts can re-open with proper treatment using eyelid hygiene and warm compresses as already suggested. In addition, I suggest that you ask your eye doctor to give you a prescription for doxycycline 100 mg by mouth twice daily for 14 days. This antibiotics with anti-inflammatory action has been shown to be effective in treating blephritis, and re-opening of the duct. If the duct has to be open with surgery, the first procedure is usually punctum probing and irrigation. If that is not successfull, then nasolacrimal duct probing and intubation is done.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Stan -

Thank you so much!

I hit the accept button but then had to go backward to your answer to write it all down as my printer would not print it out & then I couldn't move forward. I want to make sure my payment went through & I would like to give positive feedback.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it came through. Thank you so much. God bless.