Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I am experiencing a burning sensation in my eye which sometimes

I am experiencing a burning sensation in my eye which sometimes is sensitive to sunlight.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

When did this start?
Do you have any itching with the burning?
Are you using any eye drops?
Have you seen an eye doctor?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This started in the summer 0f 2009. There is no itching associated with the burning and it seems to be isolated in the area of my cornea. No eyedrops are being used and I have not seen a doctor yet.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
The burning sensation can be due to dry eyes. I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged oil glands of your eyelids. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers twice a day.

Since it has been ongoing for a few months, I recommend you visit with an optometrist or ophthalmologist for further evaluation.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Edited by Dr. James on 1/6/2010 at 9:08 PM EST