Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I am seeing double especially at night.I have had a MRI scan

I am seeing double especially at night.I have had a MRI scan with no problems. I have had a pair of glasses prescribed to no effect.The optician wishes to try a modification to the spectacles. Can spectales so;ve my problem?

Does the double go away when you cover one eye?
Is the double vision when looking in the distance or upclose or both?
When did you notice this?
Did you have the MRI because of the double vision?
Have you been seen by an ophthalmologist?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

a) yes

b)Both

c)within the last 6 months

d)yes

e)yes

What does your ophthalmologist feel the double vision is due to?
Have you had any head trauma?
Is the double vision side by side or up and down?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

a) a muscle problem in the left eye

b) no

c) both, ie 45 degree, North East/ South West

Thank you for your responses.

Muscle weakness can cause misalignment of the eyes and double vision. It appears your double vision is due to a weakness of the 4th cranial nerve causing weakness to one of the left eye muscles.

The optician was likely suggesting prisms in your spectacles which can bring the two images together. This can be very helpful in resolving the double vision. Your doctor will have to measure your eyes for new glasses and determine how much prism to place inside. Surgery to the eye muscles may be another option if the double vision is not changing.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The double vision is not permanent, I can pull the two images together especially in the mornings. What will the effect be of the prisms on this ability?

Yes, you can bring the images together if you focus and coordinate the two eyes. That takes work and can fatigue your eye muscles. The prisms will allow you to see one image without having to work your eye muscles. So it will prevent eye strain and maintain single vision throughout the day.