Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Hello, l see up to 5 balck spots when l look through my left

Hello, l see up to 5 balck spots when l look through my left eye, they are not dense and 2 or more spots seem to be linked by a very fine line , similar to a light bulb philament, these spots or marks are fixed they move when l move my eye to look towards a different point
Any idea as to wht it could be?
thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Black spots in the visual field which move along with the eye are indicative of floaters. this is usually seen in posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). In this condition the gel in the back of the eye gets detached and gives rise to symptoms like floaters or even flashes of light.

It is a matter of concern only when it is associated with other eye symptoms like cloudy vision or like a curtain falling in front of the eyes which could indicate a retinal hole or tear which can lead to retinal detachment.

A detailed retina check up will be able to rule out this condition. Floaters are also commonly experienced in high myopic individuals and diabetics

Please feel free to contact me for any clarifications. Clicking "ACCEPT" button pays me for my work. BONUS and POSITIVE FEED BACK are very much appreciated.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.