Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Yesterday morning I was in the classroom where I work, and

Yesterday morning I was in the classroom where I work, and I started to see a dark area with out of the corner of my eye. I was kind of scared but just waited, and approximately 30 min. later it had dissapated. Same story today, except it was around 10:30 am., and maybe more what I would call "flashing". I had a complete eye exam in November, and everything looked fine. Yesterday was the first day back to school after Christmas break, so I wondered if my eyes were just a little tired after being on "vacation". After it "went away" yesterday and today, it doesn't return. If it happens again tomorrow, should I do something?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquifies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommend that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's good to know that I can get advice from a doctor online, right now. Get information, decide if I should see a doctor.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Best wishes to you.